Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Curvy Chick's Guide To Looking Good This Summer

If you are a plus size diva who adores Summer but hates feeling sweaty and uncomfortable then read on to learn how to stay looking gorgeous throughout the hot days ahead.

First of all buff up your skin. Use a loofah or salt or sugar scrub to exfoliate your skin all over. Start from your ankles, up your legs, hips, torso, wrists to shoulders, go gentle on your décolletage, but don't leave that area out. Now rinse off in the shower, try cooler water to really get your skin pepped up. Gently dry your skin with a big fluffy towel and finally slather on some moisturiser, this can be cheap and cheerful Palmer's Cocoa Butter or as decadent as Crème De La Mer! Personally I use Dream Cream from LUSH Cosmetics, it soothes and softens, and has a subtle rose and lavender aroma.

Next on the list, treat yourself to a pedicure, or you could do it yourself. You want your tootsies looking cute in your summer flip flops, or peep toe wedges. Gather together cotton wool, nail varnish remover, a pumice stone, nail clippers and an emery board. Now get started on those feet! Again rub in some moisturiser and finish off with some bright nail polish, my current favorite is Givenchy - Hypnotic Pink.

So now your skin is glowing and your feet are looking as cute as can be. But how can you stay looking cool, calm collected and cute through the summer months.

Here are my tried and tested tips.

Carry a small size anti perspirent in your purse. Apply it when need, wherever needed, I spray under my boobs to avoid sweating and rubbing from my bra. Invest in sweat guards if you have to wear shirts for work, but these may make you feel warmer.

Rub in cornstarch over your chest and thighs, this will help them stay dry and stop chafing or try Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel my friend swears by it. If you suffer from thigh rash in the summer, like I do, then invest in a pair of Cotton/Lycra bike shorts or SPANX Nude Power Panties.

I own a number of wash cloths and I take a freshly laundered one to work each day in a zip lock bag. At lunchtime or break time, I rinse it in cool water, and in the privacy of the washroom I wipe my neck, chest area and backs of my knees, or anywhere else I feel sweaty and gross! Dry off thoroughly and reapply the cornstarch.

Don't avoid exercise just because it's hot. Keep walking, swimming or whatever you enjoy to stay healthy. Make sure you stay hydrated, carry a bottle of water with you and keep one on your desk too.

Finally wear sunscreen and reapply regularly, especially after excessive sweating.

So do you girls have any other tips for keeping our cool this summer?

No comments: